Sydney has joined eight other cities around the world – Tokyo, London, new York, Stockholm, Rio, ReykjavÃk, Berlin, The cap – by celebrating the highly anticipated album with a vision of the Sydney Harbor Bridge featured in a livestream on ABBA’s official YouTube channel.
CEO of Destination NSW Steve cox described the Sydney Harbor Bridge tribute as fitting recognition of ABBA as one of the most enduring groups in the world.
âSydney is proud to join eight other major cities around the world, to celebrate this milestone for one of the world’s largest groups, ABBA. We know that the vibrant images of ABBA illuminated on the Sydney Harbor Bridge will bring hope and inspiration to all, inspiring our international friends to begin planning their trip to Sydney for the reopening of international borders. “
For more than four decades, Sydney has held a special place in ABBA’s heart since they visited in 1977 on their first and only tour of Australia.
âWe couldn’t be more thrilled that Sydney was part of our global album launch. Sydney has always been a special city to us and we have wonderful memories of our time playing in Australia, said ABBA.
Adam Ireland, Managing Director, BRING said; âWhen we heard about the impending release of ABBA Voyage and the unwrapped stories of the band’s history with Sydney, we knew there was no better fit than DNSW, and no better place than our wonderful port. Streaming data supported our vision, showing that Sydney has the fourth highest flow volume for ABBA, surpassing global benchmarks. “
Important places included in ABBA’s visit to Sydney in 1977, on their first and only tour of Australia, included:
- Opening of the tour with an old-fashioned performance Sydney Exhibition Center, Moore Park on March 3, 1977 in front of an audience of 20,000 people. The four members of the group remember this concert as the most memorable of their careers. Sydney Showground is now located at Sydney Olympic Park and hosts hundreds of world class events each year.
- A visit to Narrabeen to The beaches of northern Sydney at the home of the owner of Nine Network at the time, Reg Grundy. While in Narrabeen, ABBA reportedly enjoyed the internationally renowned surf break, ocean pool swimming, bush walking, kayaking and SUP at Narrabeen Lagoon.
- Luxury accommodation Hilton sydney on George Street, now home to celebrity chef Luke Mangn’s GLASS restaurant, Zeta rooftop bar and the perfect downtown location for exploring the Queen Victoria Building, Sydney Tower, Sea Life Aquarium from Sydney and Darling Harbor.
- Say hello to koalas, kangaroos to Taronga Zoo overhanging Sydney Harbor.
- Enjoyed a cruise on the scenic Hawkesbury River, 2.5 hour drive from Sydney. Visitors to the Hawkesbury enjoy landing on the river in a Sydney seaplane for lunch at Cottage Point Inn or Berowra Waters Inn, strolling the Windsor Heritage Walk, tasting local produce on the Harvest Farm Gate Trail, and horseback riding. at the Hawkesbury Valley Equestrian Center.
To follow in ABBA’s footsteps and plan a trip to Sydney, visit www.sydney.com.
Share your favorite vacation in Sydney and NSW on social media using @sydney #ilovesydney @visitnsw #lovensw.
Please stay up to date on the latest NSW Government health advice regarding COVID-19 and travel to NSW, here.
Note to editors
Multimedia elements: Visit the Destination NSW Media Center to download ABBA editorial content, videos and images Trip activity in Sydney: https://media.destinationnsw.com.au/abba-illuminates-sydney-harbour-bridge
About the destination NSW
Destination NSW is NSW’s primary government agency for the state’s tourism and major events industry and is responsible for designing and implementing strategies to develop the state’s visitor economy. Our particular aim is to stimulate tourism and to acquire and develop major sporting and cultural events for Sydney and the regional NSW. In addition, Destination NSW is the lead investor in Business Events Sydney with the aim of securing more international conventions, incentive travel reward programs, corporate events and exhibitions.
TO BRING. The catalysts of culture.
BRING is a creative agency part of the world’s leader in musical entertainment, Universal Music Group, unmatched in the development and marketing of the most influential artists on the planet. BRING offers brands unique ways to connect with fans through the world-class talent, tools and capabilities of Universal Music. They create a cultural capital for Australian brands, turning fan love into brand love. Harnessing unparalleled streaming data, they create bold, strategic and relevant work for some of the australia top brands including American Express, KFC, Klarna, Powerball, Oppo, Adobe and more. Bring has already won several global and local awards for his work on Wrigley’s and Air New Zealand, among others.
Learn more about: www.bring.com.au
SOURCE Destination New South Wales