Coast Guard rescues 2 people from sailboat stranded off Daly City during weekend atmospheric storm – CBS San Francisco


DALY CITY (CBS SF) – Two people aboard a sailboat during stormy weather on Sunday were rescued by U.S. Coast Guard crews, after their vessel was disabled off the coast near Daly City.

At approximately 5:55 p.m., officials from the San Francisco Coast Guard Sector learned that a 37-foot sailboat with two on board was drifting about two miles from shore. A helicopter crew and a lifeboat crew were launched.

READ MORE: Families eagerly await COVID vaccinations for toddlers

Coast Guard pilot Lt. Jacob Schroeder said the couple on board were father and daughter. The crew arrived on scene around 6:50 p.m. as a major riverine atmospheric storm passed over the Bay Area.

“The winds were quite strong from the south, ripping. The seas were a bit rough, around 9 to 10 feet sea, but we were able to find them pretty easily,” Schroeder said.

The crews then deployed a rescue swimmer to the boat, saving the father on board.

A Coast Guard helicopter crew hoist a stranded person on a sailboat off Daly City to safety on December 12, 2021. (US Coast Guard)

READ MORE: A vigil is held Saturday in Santa Rosa to draw attention to the search for a missing mother

The lifeboat crew arrived on the scene, but were unable to tow the lifeboat, which drifted closer to shore.

Around 7:30 p.m., the boat ran aground, with the girl remaining on board. The lifeguard was again lowered from the helicopter to save the woman from the beach.

The two people aboard the sailboat were taken to San Francisco Air Station, where they were seen by medical personnel for minor injuries.

“During the Christmas season, this safe and successful extraction is much more meaningful to us knowing that we were able to return these two members to their families,” Schroeder said.

NO MORE NEWS: Warriors and Chase Center will require fans to show proof of COVID booster shots

Officials said there was little to no fuel on board the vessel and there were no reports of pollution from the boat on Sunday evening.


Comments are closed.